Going over this very quickly, I’ll highlight what my plans are and what exactly it is, that I’m doing for this current project because I don’t think I’ve classified it clearly. While my subject is called ‘Starting point’, it’s a collection of pencils. I would like to think that actually, there’s more than just one collection from simply looking at this one. It’s pretty much a collection with in a collection, with in a collection with in a collection. I thought this collection was going to be very basic, simple, but it turns out it isn’t.
The pencil collection has more to it, than it meets the eye. How it’s collected, the size, the number of bumps, scratches, marks and teeth marks it has, the patterns, its colour, its thickness, its type. I constantly think about how I’m going to portray these traits with in this project to help define what the collection is, or at least summarise it. So, my main focus with it has been it’s use and how they can be catagorised, sorted. When looking back at the term ‘Stating point’, a pencil is always there to take an idea from your mind and link it to paper. You take a concept and put it down, develop and create something new.
I could rant on more about this, but basically, I want to show the start and finish of how a pencil can be used as a collection.
Last time, I put forward my marks research, I was thrilled, but it led me to some new ideas on how I could take it further; in my sketchbook, I simply started to draw down energetic lines with a group of pencils held together. Moving them across the paper, then trying to recreate the patterns I saw from the research.
For the teeth marks, logos and any indents on the pencils, I had to experiment with how I was going to make that in to an image. I did start to brood over this idea quite a bit and I wasn’t getting anywhere; they could’ve been photographed and placed together? they could’ve been drawn out? I could’ve even photographed the marks and logos, edited them on Photoshop and then made them in to a screenprint? but my time was running out, I was also at home at the time, so the only thing I tried out was printing them by hand with block printing ink.
The print on the left hand side was one of my favourites, I liked the diamond shaped marks that came out of it. Those marks were made from one of the mechanical pencils I had– the ones with the rubber grips. Each set’s unique in its own way, there’s a range of different marks, patterns and even when I was rolling one pencil across, they would make this nice, smooth, smudgey mark on the paper.
After, I decided to see how I can try out a 3D aspect, but then again, it would’ve come out 2D once presented on paper, anyhow, I did some testing of this before, but in the library:
If you have noticed, when changing the order of something; it becomes an entirely different thing to look at. The collection itself was organised in to seperate different colours, then changed once again. Then again. From doing this, I learnt that I could take advantage of this and then sepereate every single pencil and organise them in to categories(As shown in the first photograph).
I continued this experiment at home, but changed it. I tried to build a model, that would involve the collection as a whole:
After speaking to Matthew about my ideas and how I’m putting my book together, I did at one point over the holiday felt that I was taking far too much time with the content and development, than the outcome of the book. However, from the book binding session from the last week of term, it allowed me to experiment with how I can lay out each image with in the book and what bind I can use. I have a vague idea of how I want it, but i’m not sure of what the bind would be called, if I combined two methods of patching the pages together. THIS is what I need to look in to, I also need to remind myself, that if I leave something to the last moment, I’ll end up with a rushed outcome and that’s not good. It’s no good at all.