Since receiving the brief, I’ve been looking in to and narrowing down who I would like to talk about and create the video. The brief wants us to develop a video between 15 and 60 seconds highlighting and demonstrating our critical thinking of someone with major, creative purpose of influence with in the arts/creative industry.
At first, I couldn’t really narrow down who I wanted to pick. There’s a lot of different practitioners who I’ve kept an eye on, on social media for years now and I eventually narrowed it down to Rebecca Sugar (The creator of Steven Universe) and Ru Paul (Mostly known for her series ‘Ru Paul’s Drag race). They’re both very inspirational and have a huge social media influence, but to different kinds of people and categories.
However, as I only have to pick one. I’ve come to the decision of Ru Paul. As someone who has been influenced, inspired and has been a avid fan of her work for many years, I think she has major influence over the LGBT community online and offline.
I want to focus the talk on how Ru’s started off and how her career took off and influenced, inspired others. I started to think about what kind of things I’ll need to question myself, while thinking about the content or at least gathering it.
- How did she start off?
- Where or how she got to where she is now?
- Influence- Who is she influenced by? what did she do to influence thousands of other drag queens and people?
- Marketing- What does she sell? what does she do as a practitioner?
- How does she present herself? any social media accounts?
- Events? productions?
- How will the video navigate the audience? Short and sweet?
- Will the video have music?
- Type? images? will they be a series of found images? internet? drawn? books? will it be a photo montage? timing?
- Will the notes that I want to talk about be very brief or long?