CIP: Collection- Development and testing

Going over the feedback again, I wanted to try and think more on how I wanted the content to communicate to the viewer. Of course, I had my original concept of it being plain and all, but as I started going to many different sources for inspiration or influence, or to get some more ideas, I found myself wanting to make the pages look less blank.

Layout

In my opinion, so far, as I started to lay out more and more content in to the document, I found myself feeling that it could use more interaction. I thought as I had a lot of prints or posters, that I’ve developed, it would be sad to not show that with in my portfolio and that I could have a page or some kind of pocket, that will help to contain a series of pull outs?  and that this method could be applied to the images for the thoughts of the week, or even with any of the tests/ideas pages. I was really limiting each project to just a couple of ideas and two or three of the final finished pieces.

But going back to the layout in general, I started to play around with the cover a bit more. The logo was too blurry in the first place and I felt that it could be spread across the page instead, considering it was quite difficult to see, but after re-drawing it by hand, I started to see that I shouldn’t keep trying to leave space around my image and that I need to think more about how the text can link to the image, or to try and think of a way that the text can link back or sync with the visual.

 

I decided to keep the design abstract and simplistic. I didn’t want anything looking too harsh, but I also wanted to reflect on my research and inspired designs that I had found along the way.

When going to places, such as pinterest or looking back at David Carson’s work for example, there were moments where I found myself really liking the way they had overlapped two different textures or colours and they worked well with each other.

So, this is what I decided to apply to the cover. I also wanted the effect to look similar to how an image would look, if it were to be printed from a Riso printer.

 

Headings/titles

So, returning back to the title, I liked how my previous tests were handwritten, as it was a way of expressing how I enjoy creating by hand more than anything, but I felt it worked a lot more smoothly than the digital text. I knew I had to be very careful with how I decided to re-create the text, but well, I didn’t want my collection/portfolio book looking too formal. The ink drawn texts were appearing a little too blurry on the page, and when it came to the acrylic texts, they also had the same result. I was a little disappointed by this, but even when checking the scan options, they still appeared like this.

In the end, as I figured that the majority of my tests, ideas or even the drawing I contribute towards my projects, I tend to do them in pencil and pen. Testing out again, I used a specific range of colours in connection with my portfolio theme to see how well it worked out.

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s