CIP: Collection– Binding changes

I was pretty stubborn about using a bureu, but after some researching, and soon after I had published the document to Issu, I noticed that it offered to get the printing done for a relatively good price. I was a bit worried about getting charged for a hefty some of money, but when it came to looking through the options, I was smitten with it.

peecho.com

Their dispatchment details are relatively fast, and I may consider using them to get the book complete.

CIP: Content

The chosen content for the portfolio was highly important, and I came down to chosing a lot of images or Photographs, which I had already taken previously, and as I was being very specific with what I wanted to show, I had to make sure, that they would fit with their context.

I found that photographing some pieces of work was quite difficult to do; this was mainly due to lack of space, or lighting with in the rooms I was using. Even adjusting the camera settings didn’t aid me.

Although, when it came to deciding what to write with in the pages, I wanted to keep it brief, as the viewer of who could be reading the portfolio may get tired of reading copious amounts of text.

//e.issuu.com/embed.js

The only long passages I used, were provided for the CCS Case study pages and the introduction to each module pages.

CIP: Collection: Changes to type and layout

A few details I forgot to mention in my previous blog post, a in relation to the final book, which you can find on Issu.

My font style was changed to a more simplistic and clear text, to create formality with in the portfolio. I personally think this change helped, as I was checking back on the class feedback and what stood out most in the suggestions was the contents font and layout.

I’ve set the main body text to MS Reference Sans Serif, size 9pt.
As it was suggested that if I were to create an A5 sized document, the text can’t be any bigger than 11, unless it’s headings or subtitles.

My quote headings or smaller headings were Orator Std, at size 13pt. I was pretty fond with how the type was in capitals and the font overall is quite sharp.

Headings:

Layout
I had to make A LOT of changes to the layout that I finished off with, I kept going back and forth from one idea to the next, but what helped me make a decision in the end was, that I needed to focus on readability of the contents and how it’s presented.

For some ideas, I went to Issu and took a look at a couple of the portfolios that other people had posted. I found that the majority of them had a running colour scheme which tied in with the cover, but the navigational system with in the content was clear and I knew exactly what page I was on; what I was looking at and so on.

So, I decided that instead of having subheadings in the content that’s presenting the work, I decided that by having a little title heading at the top corner of the page, may of been a more discrete approach.

Print and bind decisions
Hell, I don’t even know where to start.
I knew from the beginning that I didn’t want to publish it to blurb or some other bureau to do it for me. I was a little stubborn with that decision, but I had to consider cost, when it was going to arrive in England and the fact that the bind options were so restricting.

I wanted to also try out a stitch bind for my book to fit with the simplicity of the content, but also I like how I could have the option of creating patterns with the thread, if I wanted to.

I also started to think, that perhaps, I could of bound the book by using a crossed stitch bind? but, to manage with how things have proceeded so far, and how you’ll need to layout the front and back cover in to a template first is quite time consuming.

CIP: Collection

Several exportation tries later and I was finally able to get it published as a pdf. The images had to be compressed, due to the upload amount, but I;m quite pleased with how the publication turned out over all. There were a lot of moments, where I could’ve screamed and thrown my laptop out of the window because of how patient I had to be with InDesign, but well, what worked well was how I was able to get the layout I had originally planned out and on the software.

I wasn’t that all confident with the software over all from the start, but gradually as I started to learn and get my way around each thing, I found it to be very helpful.

I was amazed over all how I managed to put together a 71 document though, so the link to the digital copy is here: https://issuu.com/shaih-m/docs/xxx

CIP: Collection- Development and layout

With less worry about the content, I’ve finally been able to check up on the layout and started to get some organisation together and started to re-thinking about how i’m giving the portfolio more authorship.

I do a lot of mark making… doodles and I use colour a lot. I like playing around with markers in particular, but I noticed, that I could apply this to the titles and divided pages.

I think by having the rest of the pages with the photographs/work on should have a lack of the patterns, or none at all, but I tried to maintain the style by having a thin line at the top, which will change colour with the subject category.

 

CIP: Collection// Development: Layout and Content update.

Going along with the idea I had previously, I did definitely find it easier to start placing in the content before the designs of the pages. It was less troublesome as well.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.


When I started to go through each page and started to add every little detail, or even the photographs/images I wanted to place, I could start to see the structure of the content building up smoothly.