After a long morning, I was finally ready to try out some ideas I had in my head for the main project for BROAD. Continue reading


BROAD: Initial ideas, experimentation, pt1

I decided to start looking at some of my original illustration ideas that were the first, drafts of the ideas for the gif animations with in the Walk the line project. There were a few that I felt needed to be shown in the light once more, and could really use a creative update. Not only that, they were drawings that I really wanted to try out again, yet, I didn’t know where, and luckily enough, this is the project that will do just that.

I chose a select few, due to the fact, that I wanted to keep the link of the words that these images are associated with. As the posts chosen reflect the word ‘Feel’ more than the rest, I found that this may help me more with choosing how the publication or the content of the document may be laid out.

Reminder: How these illustrations may look, may change over the next few days. I want to try out a few compositional ideas with the concept, as I would like to see how colour may work with them as well.

I decided that my first approach with the illustrations, was to take another look at the images already presented in the posts. The first was the hand, so I tried to redraw this in many ways with just thick felt pens and later with fine liner pens. I wasn’t happy with the thin lines, as i had to consider that when printing those out, sometimes those don’t always show. The choices in colour were chosen, due to that the previous one had a variety of different colours being used. I had to narrow it down to what colours may work well, but all in to consideration with the word the image was based on, I wanted to keep to its meaning and try to consider two colours that would amplify feeling.

I might revisit this method again soon, but I would like to try being playful with how I draw out the hand and see if I could start overlaying or even collaging it with other hands soon.

I wanted to try revamping this guy again, as he was also an important aspect to my gif project. I had to consider how i could really take advantage with his look this time, since we’ll be using colour seperation and working with two tones.
I started to redraft his original look and decided that maybe, he might look better side on, to make him pop out of the page a bit more. To be honest, I’m not sure where this drawing or plan might go for him, but I had an idea, that maybe his clothes having patterns or different textures may be an interesting aspect to work with.


BROAD: Monoprinting workshop

Splitting up in to scheduled groups, we had our first workshop of this term– Monoprint!

I was pretty happy to be doing this workshop again, I was planning on trying out this method of print for my FMP, so it gave me a good opportunity to start thinking about what methods I could try out for that and see how I could tie my FMP in with this project.

With the first few tests, I decided that my first attempts would be drawing out a hand shape in different ways to grasp which one would be more interesting, in terms of depth and texture.

While I adored how bold the lines appear to be with the fingers, and the hand over all, I felt like I could of tried drawing a few more of these. I did however, enjoy the many textures that were obtained from the ink. Continue reading

BROAD: Layout and Publications, Research pt3.

Another new post, I decided that I wanted to look more in to how layouts and publications can be presented, and to start thinking about how I might want my content to be presented. It’s also a link back to some of the new ideas I’ve come up with in the letter press workshop yesterday.

There’s A LOT of layouts that I had taken interest in, as they were all so unique and different in their approaches, when it comes to type and imagery, so to save space, the link to the board is here:

A thing that caught my eye about this publication, was that it was pretty straight forward, yet appealing at the same time. I’m not a big fan of combining such a bright pigment combined with black would work so well, then again, they’re also combined with white. It works well, and it gives off this playful appearance.

Another thing that I was pretty fond of about this layout, is how the type and image can spread across both of the pages. That may be something that I may consider for the presentation of my illustrations. How can I make them spread across two pages and overlap? How would i present the image in order for me to do that?

The images in general were just so intriguing, that I couldn’t help myself. I wanted to talk quite a bit about this layout in particular.

There’s a lot of consistency through out each layout, it’s well considered. With the type, it’s clear on each page; it syncs in nicely with the way the images have been presented and each page makes me want to see more from it. I also enjoy the mixed combination of illustrations and photographs. When I start to think about that combination being tied together, I quite often question myself how that’s going to work out well, due to the fact that they’re incredibly different in comparison to each other. However, from looking over this, it has allowed me to start thinking about possibly combining photographs in somehow with my illustrations.