Letter press with Kim and preping title page. (3 workshops)

If Irecall back, Iwent to three different work shops to come up with new ideas in how Icould present type for my title page and any work involved with this project. Type isn’t a thing, I usually want or attempt to work with, but as the year has prgressed, it’s been a thing which I’ve been catapulted in to using or trying to at least consider it with my animations, or even my printed outcomes for my box prints.

Work shop 1:

The first work sop felt more like an experimentation, to help us think and generate new ideas into how we can make the type work with the images or ideas that we’ve collated already. I should thank myself lucky for being in group two because that gave us some time to KNOWwhat we were going to base the title page on. As a reminder, my prints are based on the location of Brick lane and I wanted to base my project on my own experience or how I take in the atmosphere of the location, on the three seperate days I had gone there. From the notes and sound that I’ve collected, I started to generate imagery to help sit along side with those notes. This was an idea that was given to me from our CCS workshop and Susanna.

Over the weeks, I came up with an array of different ideas. I had the idea of laying down brick patterns on the paper first, to represent our most typical connection to Brick lane, which would be the bricks. To be honest, the bricks in the location leave me in awe at times. If you pay close attention, the bricks aren’t all the same. They’ll be a different shape, shade, colour or sometimes, it would have posters, art or all kinds of random things on them. Even the dents etched in to them would vary. It did start to make me think, but taking this in to mind, Idesigned a lino print that represented this point of view.

Here’s my plans for the title page:

DSCF4221

I wanted it A5.

When arranging the wooden blocks, Iwasn’t too confident with the first set of outcomes, but Ifelt like I had to rush it a little. When Ireturned to the designs after testing, it was just… I’m not really sure how to put it, but it left me a bit disatisfied? the quality wouldn’t come out correctly, and the grungy green tones were not very appealing to the eyes.

When I returned the seond time, I had a prepped transparent print. Ihad printed the brick patterns in blue and red on the paper this time. Ichose these two colours, as they were bold, and they had reminded me of the dominant blue and red that you’ll some times see on graffeti at that place. Trying out the type again and again on plain paper, I wanted to see where it would go in terms of position, space and how the type looked.

I wanted to obtain this specific quality.

Even when Ireturned for a second workshop to retry these methods, I found myself being unable to obtain the look I had imagined; the elegance that the term ‘my way’ has. Ijust couldn’t do it.

Due to the short amount of time, Ihad given myself, Istuck with what Ihad so far. I still feel, that Imay need to revisit the letterpress room or try a different method using a different techinque.

Advertisements

Taking it further…

I wanted to try the letter press again, once I was finished with my first set of prints. I was definitely having a blast at the print press.

I chose to do another Japanese name this time– Aoba. This means ‘Blue leaf’, or with it’s kanji combined, it can mean that.

Knowing the meaning of the name, I decided to test with the blue ink, but as you can clearly see; the blue faded away on some parts. It was rather unusual, but interesting. You could still tell what the letter was even though it wasn’t clear.

Takin these to photoshop again, like with my last edits; I used a gradient map to change each colour. They came out well, but the only thing that bothers me right now is the blank background. I could edit this further, but I won’t do that this instant.

Typography: Letter Press

Being placed in to the second group: Group B. We were given a list to find and draw all of the typographical terms that we’re given. I found this task pretty straight forward because it was simply using some common sense with some of the terms,  for instance paragraph positioning (Right, left, center and justified.). It was a very enjoyable and relaxing task to do actually because I got to draw and practice drawing down different types of fonts. I don’t often do this, but I will consider doing this again and again until I can draw each font face perfectly.

scanner@londonmet.ac.uk_20151116_121236_page1_image1

I chose to separate the tasks on to four A4 pages, so the images weren’t so cramped up on the page; in doing this, it allowed me to see each term with its image clearly, which I thought was a good thing, but as I’ve mentioned, I would like to try looking at working on adding some more detail to the type faces and practicing them. I perhaps may add some colour to the drawings to brighten the pages up a little more to make them more attractive.

scanner@londonmet.ac.uk_20151116_121145_page1_image1scanner@londonmet.ac.uk_20151116_121211_page1_image1

 

Came back to the workshop Monday afternoon and began to set up the metal letters needed for my given sentence. I had to double check several times to make sure that everything was there. By the first glimpse of it, it appeared to be all good and set out for printing, but then… –It was printed backwards on the paper. It looked like a completely different language, although it was pretty interesting to see it like this. The print was perfect in terms of the amount of ink placed on to the set and yet, I made the silly mistake of getting it all set out in the opposite direction. (I need to remind myself later on to post )

Continue reading