Another useful talk about how we can present our poster, and how we must always think about the ways in which we present and reflect our ideas. I briefly mentioned before that I’ve started to play around with those ideas and yet, I’m not so satisfied with what I have at the moment.
Not only did he talk about this, he mentioned that the poster needs to communicate what we want it to and he gave some rather interesting hints in how we can do this. It could be done through the use of words? it could also be done in the use of shapes as well. Shapes and colours are quite good examples when I think about it; just by squashing a square together, it could resemble pressure? gluttony? tightness? anger, maybe?
Continuing with the talk, he gave us some examples of posters that stood out to him, or had influenced others. There was this particular one that had struck my attention when it popped up; I was later able to find it in a book I found at the library and it was about Japanese poster designs.
The palm of the hand is so detailed; it’s incredible. It must of taken a lot of patience and time to be able to create something so delicate. I also adore how subtle the poster is, it’s not flashy or too complicated.
When the talk was finished, we arrived back in our studio to continue working on the poster designs. I had a little one to one talk with Bill, and he suggested about making the text bigger, as the songs are quite bold and they’re different in terms of style. The names of them speak for themselves, but I took this in to consideration.
I started off with a base template, it was just to draft out a vague idea of what the style of the font could look like. I wanted something scratchy, messy and not so neat and yet, this didn’t exactly resemble that at all.
Tried again. It was better this time; I wanted the text to be bold, big and striking. Though, I need to remind myself of what I stated previously about having the title being a bit quieter, as the names of the songs are prominent. The textured tones that marker creates are pretty fascinating, so I continued to use them, but instead of using one colour, I mixed up two colours that were dominant with in all three of the posters.
I was keen to the result of this outcome, as it was nicely blended in and I’m fond of how the colours smudge in. It would’ve been a better outcome, if I had a bit more practice with this technique previously, but as I needed to get these all done in time for the printers, this was what I ended up with. Nonetheless, this isn’t a totally bad finish over all. I was happy with it, just I could of played around with it a bit more.