Broad: Initial experimentation, pt2

Taking these images a bit further, I tried to consider the change in colours with it. I decided that my first approach with colour would be through primary colours, and green only, in consideration of the Riso printer.

Continue reading


G+T: M+M: Photograph editing (1)

Firstly, sorry for the delay on this. I’m going to make sure, I do these posts routinely in future.

Coming up with some quick ideas, I decided that maybe Photoshop would be the best place to start playing around with the first few ideas, that I may have. At first, I wasn’t too big on the idea of doing that, but heck, I thought I might as well just try it and see where it goes.

It also helped me to think of how I was going to tackle how I could lay the images for the acetate prints.

I started to reflect on some previous experimentation, I had applied to my previous projects and I did keep in mind about the colour schemes. As my client was quite fond with the colour green and lilac, I tried to involve that with the image overlays. What I particularly enjoyed about these first sets of tests, was how crisp the texture of the clay came out in the photographs, and it let me recall back to the texture of the mold on decaying fruit.

Following on from this, I tried to think about how I could overlay the same image again, but in a different way. While, this part was quite straightforward, I simply couldn’t stick with a few of the ones I had tried.

From these, I wanted to see if I could try a more solid approach with the visualisations for the bowl. I was pretty intrigued by how well the shadows on the curvatures came out, and when you observe them in the imagery, they form a new set of shapes and marks.

Through this approach, I tried to overlay the same image again, but from these, I felt that this isn’t showing how fascinating these remarkable bowls are. They weren’t able to grasp the texture, or the details featured.

So, what I may have to consider, when it comes to experimenting with the photographs again, is probably thinking about how I can show the materials quality; the marks created in the material, that helps to put emphasis on the topic of decay.

Some negative results…

Testing out some filters in Photoshop, I got some intriguing results by using the negative filter, I got these amazing, vivid and bold lines! It’s always so relaxing to re-use old methods that you’ve used before, but then to practice and play around with new techniques as well.

Simply looking at this image, it makes me wonder if perhaps the same method using the filter to reverse the colours would create a similar outcome?

The last one seems to be my overall favourite, but I’m amazed how a change in the colour pallet could change the image completely. It would’ve been good, if I could of recorded with my camera the effects of the water smudging and dripping down the page.


Taking it further…

I wanted to try the letter press again, once I was finished with my first set of prints. I was definitely having a blast at the print press.

I chose to do another Japanese name this time– Aoba. This means ‘Blue leaf’, or with it’s kanji combined, it can mean that.

Knowing the meaning of the name, I decided to test with the blue ink, but as you can clearly see; the blue faded away on some parts. It was rather unusual, but interesting. You could still tell what the letter was even though it wasn’t clear.

Takin these to photoshop again, like with my last edits; I used a gradient map to change each colour. They came out well, but the only thing that bothers me right now is the blank background. I could edit this further, but I won’t do that this instant.

I said I would do it and so I have–

–I took one of these projects further at least…  Taking these into Photoshop and editing them was like a treat. By playing around with the layer settings on the second layer which one of the images were on, I took advantage. I took advantage of the many options I had to chose from, and what they could turn in to. Not only did I chose to tamper with those settings, image adjustments and decided to turn one of the layers inverted. I did this on a few of my outcomes to make sure that the lines were not too blended in with the dark, bold shades of the background.

Now, that I have layered the two images together on a few of these, I can start to see more depth to the buildings. They almost look like a few of them could pop out from the page at any instant.

Though, I have tested these methods, I don’t feel totally satisfied with these, but these were the only four I felt a little bit happy about. The thing that bothers me is the composition of the buildings and that they could have a little bit more details added to them, such as the windows or working in

more of the architectural patterns that are depicted on the building.

<– This one, that stood out for me. There are so many different traits about this experimentation that I enjoy, such as the washed out-look that the ink has around the sides.

I may want to consider re-doing the whole project in later on, or trying to see how I can make the buildings more see-able in the image.